Winnipeg Man Arrested for Falsely Reporting Kidnapping Across U.S. Border
Roderick Garson of Manitoba was arrested for falsely reporting a cross-border kidnapping.

Winnipeg Man Arrested for Falsely Reporting Kidnapping Across U.S. Border

Winnipeg man arrested after a false kidnapping report triggered a cross-border search involving Canadian and U.S. agencies.


Share this post
Sourced from 3 independent sources (4 reports) · no points in dispute

KVRR, Brandon Sun, and Valley News Live

Every key fact in this report is confirmed by more than one independent source.

8 key facts · 8 corroborated · none disputed

Why some reports were counted once

Brandon Sun and Winnipeg Free Press — the same report, published near-identically, counted once.

When several outlets publish the identical article — often because they ran the same wire-service story — we count it as one source, not several, so the count reflects independent reporting rather than how widely one story was republished.

Allegations described here are not proven in court unless stated.

A Manitoba man’s reported cross-border kidnapping prompted a multi-agency law enforcement response before U.S. investigators concluded the story was false.

U.S. authorities determined that Roderick Garson, 37, of Manitoba, fabricated a claim that he had been kidnapped. He was arrested for falsely reporting a crime and is being held in the Douglas County Jail pending court.

Kidnapping report crossed the border

The case began with a Saturday report that a man had been abducted in Manitoba and taken across the Canada-U.S. border into the United States.

The reported abduction involved an alleged weapon. Investigators later found no weapon.

“While the reported abduction was ultimately determined to be false, law enforcement agencies responded based on the information available at the time and treated the report with the seriousness required when a person’s safety may be at risk,” Lt. Jenna Clawson Huibretgse of the North Dakota State Patrol said in an email quoted by the Brandon Sun.

That response grew quickly because of the nature of the allegation: a possible abduction that had crossed an international border. The investigation involved local, state, federal and Canadian law enforcement agencies.

Search led to Alexandria

Investigators traced the reported suspect vehicle to Alexandria, Minnesota, where officers located Garson and another adult man.

Authorities later said Garson and the other man knew each other before Garson reported being kidnapped.

“Through a co-ordinated investigation involving local, state, federal, and Canadian law enforcement, investigators conducted extensive followup into the reported abduction,” Huibretgse said.

During subsequent interviews, she said investigators determined Garson “had fabricated an elaborate account of being abducted.”

That finding shifted the case from a reported cross-border abduction to an arrest for a false report.

No weapon was found

The allegation that a weapon was involved was one of the reasons police treated the report as urgent. But investigators found no weapon.

Authorities also determined that the reported victim and the other adult man were not strangers. Investigators said the two knew each other before Garson made the kidnapping claim.

Garson was arrested for falsely reporting a crime. He remains in custody at the Douglas County Jail pending court.

Federal review continues

Federal law enforcement is reviewing the incident for possible federal violations.

Huibretgse said the response required “significant co-ordination and resources across international and state lines.”

“We appreciate the work of every agency involved in quickly investigating the report and ultimately determining the timeline and occurrence of events,” she said.

For Canadian readers, the case is a reminder of how quickly an alleged crime can become a cross-border police matter when a report involves movement from Manitoba into the United States. In this case, U.S. authorities say the report that launched that response was fabricated.

Reader-funded. No ads. No paywall.

The Canada Report is independent, reader-funded Canadian news — no advertisers, nothing behind a paywall, kept free for everyone. If you value it, you can help keep it that way.

Support The Canada Report →

Source 1 | Source 2 | Source 3 | Source 4


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Military Police Powers to Detain Soldiers in Mental Health Crisis Change by Province
Canadian Armed Forces members standing in formation. Records show a military police policy in force since August 2025 setting out when a member in mental health crisis can be detained without consent, though the medical certificate route it relies on exists in only seven of Canada's thirteen provinces and territories.

Military Police Powers to Detain Soldiers in Mental Health Crisis Change by Province

Defence records show a military police policy, in force since August 2025, setting out when Canadian Armed Forces members in mental health crisis can be detained without consent — and how that authority shifts at provincial borders.


Steve Cogbill

Steve Cogbill